Thursday, September 13, 2007

Was It The Drugs?

Friday, 9/7
Call the dentist at 8AM. I tell 'em whats going on and they tell me to come in ASAP. Didn't sleep more than 2-3 hrs. I call my Nurse and leave a message. The pain is excruciating. I get in ~9 and she takes me immediately - shoots me with 3 shots of Novocaine. What a beautiful drug. The take an x-ray. Frikken infection looks the same. She cleans it and leaves it open. It needs to drain and heal before they can cap it. She gives me a script for Percocet and Augmentin. After treatment the nurse calls. While I'm still in the chair.

Me: Hello
Nurse: I talked with the doc, she told you no treatment until after chemo.


Oy Vey. I had to spell it out that this wasn't elective, but a fucking emergency. What part of no sleep and me slicing my own tooth out did they not understand. Finally, with the graphic explanation, they got it. Any more work and I would have to have blood drawn to make sure my counts were good. Fine. if it's not another emergency. Chemo seems to do a number on my teeth.

I get home after picking up my scripts and waiting too long for the bus. In hindsight, I must have been delirious from all the Percocet, alcohol, then Novocaine. It's about 1230. I do my Augmentin, anti-viral, Inject neupogen, and then pop a Percocet just in case. I'm feeling really High strung and anxious. I have a whiskey. I have no food in my stomach.

The following description doesn't do my trip justice but I really don't know how to better describe it. Bad Trip, might be best:

All of a sudden, I'm feeling like I've never felt before. I lay down and sleep. It's a restless sleep. I'm aware that I'm moaning, a lot. I feel like ass in these fleeting moments of semi-consciousness. Dani comes home at some point. I get up to pee. And go back to bed. It's a horrible, indescribable experience. At some point she wakes me and tries to get me to eat some homemade chicken noodle soup. I struggle with a few bites and then tell her to take it away before I vomit. I plop back down and continue my not-sleep sleep. I spike a few fevers, sweat, moan, mumble, toss and turn. I sense delirium. At one point I feel something blocking my head whenever I try to sit up. Feels like a warm steel block against my head. But there's nothing there. It's part of the headache from hell I've got. And Time has no meaning. Sometime at night I reluctantly take my anti-microbials. And some tylenol.

And thats what I do. From about 2:30PM until 9AM the next day. And the next day I feel like never before. A headache worst than any I've ever encountered. Worn out like I fought all those hours. I veg on the sofa. I spike a few 101 fevers. I try not to panic. I should go to the ER with temps like that but the drop quickly. And I'm hoping it's all the drugs and dental work that is causing it. Not sure we're being rational about it but we really don't want to go to the ER. I decide if it continues on Sunday I'll call in and see. I just wish the headache would go away.

For some reason I hate liquids now. Have an aversion to them all. Doesn't that suck?

No comments: