Sunday, March 19, 2006

Chemo Causes Cancer

I'm on a roll today, eh?

Anyway. I kind of tucked it away that chemo can cause Cancer, maybe even Lung Cancer. At least I seem to recall reading that. Maybe it's radiation? I'll have to look into that......

Anyway. Vinblastine, a drug I'm taking for Hodgkins, can definitly cause Leukemia. That is a fact. Lets review:

Lymphoma is a general term for a group of cancers that originate in the lymphatic system. The lymphomas are divided into two major categories: Hodgkin lymphoma and all other lymphomas, called non-Hodgkin lymphomas.

Leukemia is a cancer of the blood or bone marrow characterized by an abnormal proliferation of blood cells, usually white blood cells (leukocytes). It is part of the broad group of diseases called hematological neoplasms.

Leukemia is clinically and pathologically split in to its acute and chronic forms.

Furthermore, the diseases are classified according to the type of abnormal cell found most in the blood. When leukemia affects lymphoid cells, it is called lymphocytic leukemia.
When myeloid cells are affected, the disease is called myeloid or myelogenous leukemia.

Myeloid cells are precursor red blood cells.

Is that not ironic? A drug I take to cure a lymphoma may cause another Lymphoma/Blood Cancer.

WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH THAT????????

I hope "they" get better at this. I might actually consider getting into this once I'm better.

TTFN!

Phil!

No comments: